We have received the very sad news of the death of Michael Pope (W 1947 – 1951).  Michael died peacefully in August 2018.  We send our deepest condolences to his wife Adele and family.

Whilst at school Michael was Head of Ward’s House and a Prefect. He excelled in sports and was made Vice Captain of Rugby in 1950 and was Captain of Athletics.  He was also winner of the Heavyweight Boxing Shield, achieved the Royal Life Saving Society Bronze Medal, Bronze Cross and Award of Merit King’s Scout Award.

After finishing his education here, he became a chartered accountant. In 1963 he became a Member of the Wycliffe Council of Governors which he remained on until September 2006, sitting on the Finance & Audit Committee and was then on the Governor Advisory Body from 2006 to 2011.  His two sons, David and Alan, both attended Wycliffe.

Excerpt from the eulogy given at Michael’s funeral:

As the saying goes, “Still waters run deep” so here are a few words about Mike who was a quiet soul and used to say of himself:- “I don’t say much and what I do say don’t make sense”!!

Mike was born in Whitchurch, Cardiff on 26 April 1934. The family moved shortly afterwards to Swindon due to his father’s work. From there they moved to Salisbury where he went to Chaffyn Grove prep school and where he excelled in sport, particularly rugby. At the age of 11 he went to boarding school to Wycliffe in Gloucestershire where he once again excelled at rugby, but did find some time for some schoolwork!  His father and both uncles had played rugby for Gloucester in the distant past, so he felt at home.

School holidays were spent in Salisbury where he played cricket and rugby at Salisbury Club and eventually for Dorset and Wilts. The next family move was Reading and as he had joined Miles Watson a firm of accountants to do his articles, in Bournemouth he lived at the YMCA and not surprisingly joined Bournemouth Sports Club, Kinson, playing cricket and rugby. Mum had come on the scene by now as her brother was articled at the same firm.  He then started his correspondence course in accountancy and the family moved to Reading where he played for Reading and eventually Berkshire.

Then came National Service and anyone who joined him and Mum for their Golden Wedding Anniversary will know all about that – as his dear friend Richard said, //we are still waiting for the second chapter!” Marriage followed in 1961 and a move to Richmond where he played for Richmond Rugby Club and eventually Surrey. The time came for him to leave the big city and he moved back to Bournemouth, joining Bicker Son and Dowden for many happy years and back to Bournemouth Rugby Club – of course. There was then a merger with Grant Thornton where new friends were gained. He decided eventually that he would work from home and became a sole practitioner with the help and guidance from his trusted colleagues Lynn, his personal secretary and accounts manager Julie, who both stayed with him for the 29 years whilst he worked from our house at No 54.

Throughout his working life and sporting career, he met people who became dear friends and these friendships remained with him throughout his life.


Reception 2020 Open Afternoon

Friday 6th December from 1.30pm to 4.00pm.

Discover More